girl shooting rifle 




Capitol Area Council, Boy Scouts of America

Austin, Tx



scout shooting shotgun
General Information and News
NRA/NAA Instructors
Scoutmasters and Venturing Leaders
Mission Statement & Vision Statement
Manuals & Forms
Resource Information
Competitive Shooting
Chief Range Safety Officer
Mark Your Calendar Merit Badge/Shooting Activity Link


Important Links District Liaisons


The liaisons for the districts are:


Common Questions Regarding Shooting Sports

In Scouting

E-mail your questions to Bill Agnell

  • Do I have to have an NRA Instructor every time I take my troop or crew out shooting?

ANSWER: In the Guide to Safe Scouting, it states that all rifle shooting activities must be supervised by a currently NRA -certified Rifle Instructor and when on the range, must be supervised by a currently NRA-certified Range Safety Officer.

  • How do I locate an National Rifle Association (NRA) or National Archery Association (NAA) Instructor?

ANSWER: First you should contact your shooting sports district liaison, if your district has one and ask them for the names of instructors in your district.  If your district does not have a liaison, ask your District Commissioner or OA Advisor. 


Can my Troop Rent Archery and firearms from the Council?


ANSWER: A troop or crew can rent .22 rifles, shotguns and archery equipment to use at Lost Pines.  The unit will need to complete a Tour Planning Worksheet 21 days in advance. 

A troop can rent archery equipment, but not firearms, to use on a campout.

NOTE: Muzzleloaders and pistols are not available except for Council sponsored events.


If you still can not find a rifle instructor, contact Bill Agnell

If you are looking for an archery instructor, contact Roy Kleinsasser